Opportunities for All
As a school, we pride ourselves on offering a wide range of opportunities for our children. Our small size does mean that we can be more flexible in order to make the most of the opportunities that come our way, and there is no doubt that if you are a pupil in a small school, your chances of being selected to take part in activities are increased. However, that is not to say that every child will automatically have the chance to participate or represent the school and this statement is intended to clarify our position.
PE and Sport
- All children take part in Sports Day.
- From Year 1, all children have the opportunity to take part in daily running at the beginning of each day.
- From Year 3, all children have the opportunity to take part in extra-curricular coaching.
- From Year 3, all children have the opportunity to represent the school at the annual Stamford Welland Academy cross-country meeting which is held on a Saturday in February.
- As long as they can swim 25m, all children in KS2 compete in the school Swimming Gala held in July.
- From Year 3, Stamford and District Sports Association run inter-school sporting competitions which follow a pathway to the county championships; teams for these events are selected on merit in terms of both level of skill and sportsmanship.
- Sports Ambassadors are selected from the most talented children in sport in Y6. Decisions are based upon level of skill and sportsmanship.
Music, Drama and the Arts
- All KS1 and children in the Foundation Stage take part in the Nativity production. All Y5/6 children have the opportunity to take part in the Carol Concert.
- Each class perform together as a class choir in assemblies, at the Christmas ‘Carols around the Tree’ and on other special occasions.
- The school choir is made up of a maximum of twenty-five KS2 children who are selected on musical and performance ability to perform in the Carol Concert and Leavers’ Service.
- Private tuition in woodwind is available to children from Y4*. Children receiving instrumental tuition may be selected to perform in the Carol Concert and end of year musical concert.
School Council and House Captains
- Each class elects their own school councillors; KS2 elect house captains.
- We endeavour to offer a range of extra-curricular clubs which run either at lunchtime or after school. Those run by school staff are offered free but there may be a cost for clubs such as Sewing*.
*Children in receipt of free school meals may be able to access financial support for paid—for activities. Please speak to Mrs Simms.