Opportunities for All
As a school, we pride ourselves on offering a wide range of opportunities for our children. Our small size does mean that we can be more flexible in order to make the most of the opportunities that come our way, and there is no doubt that if you are a pupil in a small school, your chances of being selected to take part in activities are increased. However, that is not to say that every child will automatically have the chance to participate or represent the school and this statement is intended to clarify our position.
PE and Sport
- All children take part in Sports Day.
- From Year 3, all children have the opportunity to take part in extra-curricular coaching.
- All children in KS2 compete in the annual inter-house cross-country run.
- From Year 3, all children have the opportunity to represent the school at the annual Stamford Welland Academy cross-country meeting which is held on a Saturday in February.
- As long as they can swim 25m, all children in KS2 compete in the school Swimming Gala held in July.
- All Y5/6 children compete in the annual inter-house rounders competition.
- From Year 3, Stamford and District Sports Association run inter-school sporting competitions which follow a pathway to the county championships; teams for these events are selected on merit in terms of both level of skill and sportsmanship.
- The school works closely with the South West Lincolnshire Sports Partnership and Inspire+ and endeavours to include as many children as possible in their inter-school challenges such as the One Mile Challenge.
- All children in Years 3 and 4 represent the school in the annual Mini Olympics.
- Sports Ambassadors are selected from the most talented children in sport in Y6. Decisions are based upon level of skill and sportsmanship.
Music, Drama and the Arts
- All KS1 and children in the Foundation Stage take part in the Nativity production.
- Each class performs together as a class choir in class-led acts of worship in church, at the Christmas ‘Carols around the Tree’ and on other special occasions.
- Private tuition in woodwind is available to children from Y4*.
School Council and House Captains
- Each class elects their own school councillors; KS2 elect house captains.
- All children have the opportunity to lead class worship in church once a year.
- All children in KS2 plan and lead class worship on a regular basis.
- Children from Year 4 upwards are invited to take leading roles in parish services such as Harvest Festival and Mothering Sunday; this might include reading, leading prayers or carrying the processional cross and candles at the beginning of the service.
- We endeavour to offer a range of extra-curricular clubs which run either at lunchtime or after school. Those run by school staff are offered free but there may be a cost for clubs such as Sewing*.
*Children in receipt of free school meals may be able to access financial support for paid—for activities. Please speak to Mrs Simms.